The Grateful Christian

Essays, opinions, and works-in-progress by a conservative Lutheran pastor.

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Michigan, United States

In order of importance, I am a: Husband, father, pastor, hobby programmer, writer. Thoughts are but coins. Let me not trust instead
Of Thee, their thin-worn image of Thy head.

--C.S.Lewis, The Apologist's Evening Prayer

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

An Ash-Wednesday Tribute

In Memoriam: Arthur Sekki, who was my Biblical Hebrew professor in my last two years of college, 1976-78, Concordia College, Ann Arbor, MI. He died in July of 2003. He had been out of academia for many, many years, and had returned to his earlier vocation of commercial driver. Here is a photo I found from 2001 from the newsletter of Laketran, an outfit he worked for upward of a dozen years, I think.



Art was deeply interested in philosophy, and often liked to talk about the roots of modern liberalism in Schleiermacher. He had an idea that I am trying to pursue: why not learn Biblical Hebrew according to the frequency of the actual forms, the forms that you find in the text? Once you've learned the basic verb paradigms and constructions, for reading skill it is much more important to be able to recognize wayyomer (top item below) as "and he said" than to learn another form of the verb root amar (lower right), since "and he said" occurs hundreds of times more frequently than, e.g., "they will say" in the text.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing about Art. I was his Hebrew grader and reviewer at Concordia in 1980. I always wondered where he went and what he was doing. Thank you for giving me the answer I was searching for.

Jun 13, 2012, 10:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home