The Grateful Christian

Essays, opinions, and works-in-progress by a conservative Lutheran pastor.

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Michigan, United States

In order of importance, I am a: Husband, father, pastor, hobby programmer, writer. Thoughts are but coins. Let me not trust instead
Of Thee, their thin-worn image of Thy head.

--C.S.Lewis, The Apologist's Evening Prayer

Friday, November 03, 2006

"Priests In Aprons And Overalls"

Click on the title to read a great essay on the need and opportunity for our Lutheran doctrine of vocation, by a man I am growing to respect more and more, journalist Uwe Siemon-Netto, of the Concordia Seminary Institute of Lay Vocation. At one of the places where he spoke on this topic, there followed a Q&A session where he said something that I have felt for many years, about this:

Let’s make one thing clear here: what I am promoting is not “Christian lawyers,” “Christian journalists,” “Christian this,” “Christian politicians.” ... This is not Lutheran. What I want is--you have to be very precise, very nitpicking--I want Christians in the legal profession, Christians in journalism, and not to push, not to evangelize in their offices, or on the workbench; but to be so Lutheran that they understand that when they work as lawyers or journalists or whatever it is--or you as a mother--you do so serving your neighbor...

Right now, the work of each and every one of us as Lutherans is not (unless you are a pastor) to, from your workbench, evangelize. You will find, though, that if you have this Lutheran ethos that I have been talking about, people will ask you what it is that drives you as a Christian in motherhood, as a Christian in running a corporation. Then of course, feel free to evangelize!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home